Rabu, 18 November 2020

Conditional Sentences Type 3

 Conditional sentence type 3

Third conditional sentence is a conditional sentence when a condition cannot possibly be realized at all. This can be described as a very impossible condition or just a dream or imagination. In this third type of conditional sentence, the sentence form uses the past perfect equipped with auxiliary modalities such as would, could, and should. 


Formulas for Conditional Sentence Type 3

The conditional clause (if + condition) uses the past perfect tense, while the main clause (result) uses the perfect modal (modal + have + past participle).

complex sentence
subordinate clause (if + condition)main clause (result/consequence)
if + past perfectwould/should/could/might + have + past participle
If-clause can be at the beginning or middle of a sentence. When if-clause takes place at the beginning of the sentence, a comma is placed before the main clause.


Example of sentences:

If you had remembered to invite me, I would have attended your party.

We might have gone to South America if she had not been pregnant.

If you had told me you needed a ride, I would have left earlier.

If I had cleaned the house, I could have gone to the movies.

If she hadn't taken the course, she wouldn't have gotten the scholarship.

If I had locked the car, the thief wouldn't have stolen my car.

Had I locked the car, the thief wouldn't have stolen my car.

4 komentar:


  1. hello reta I have read your blog. I think your blog has an interesting theme. your explanation is clear, I understand what you want to say. don't forget to visit my blog

    BalasHapus
  2. hello reta I have read your blog. I think your blog has an interesting theme. your explanation is clear, I understand what you want to say. don't forget to visit my blog

    BalasHapus
  3. Your blog is so complete and interesting!Thank you. this is very helpful

    BalasHapus

  4. hello reta I have read your blog. I think your blog is quite good and interesting. The contents are also easy to understand. I hope the next blog can be even better. Thank you

    BalasHapus

The Last Leaf

In a little district west of Washington Square the streets have run crazy and broken themselves into small strips called "places."...